What is Para Taekwondo?
Para Taekwondo is a term used for Taekwondo for individuals with various disabilities. Para Taekwondo has now been included in the Paralympics, however it is much more than a competitive sport.
Para Taekwondo is a martial art that enables the participant to evolve physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Another aspect of Para Taekwondo is the instruction of adapted self defence skills which will develop self-confidence and "martial arts knowledge" in the Para Taekwondo student.
In reality Para Taekwondo is no different than Taekwondo. It offers the same benefits to everyone regardless of their physical and/or intellectual abilities. In fact, Para Taekwondo us even more valued to individuals with special needs as it offers a "therapeutic" component that can create physiological changes in its practitioners.
As a sport, it can be practiced by all. Individuals with physical, sensory and intellectual/development disabilities can enjoy competitive sparring and poomase depending on their type of disability.
There are countless benefits of Taekwondo training for people with disabilities.
- Improved motor skills (gross & fine), dexterity & coordination
- Improved focus, attention-span and concentration
- Improved interpersonal and social skills
- Self motivation and happiness
- Increase in self confidence, self esteem & self worth
- Increase in emotional and physical self control
- Positive outlook about life and the 'self '
- Fitness and health
- Self defence skills
- develop a sports for life approach
Talk to us today about enrolling in a class. Call Hugh on 1300133903 or email to HughEagling@bigpond.com.au
For class timetable - click here